Sunday, August 29, 2010

Spring is in the air

This week the trees started flowering and there was that smell of cut grass and the coming of summer as I walked to work.  I can't wait for spring - it's been 18 months since I've had my favourite season.


My winter veggie garden is just about finishing off now.  The broccoli, broccoletti, and cauliflower have all been eaten.  The spring onions and carrots are still going strong, as is the silverbeet.  The kale and leeks haven't really reached edible size, so I guess we'll leave them.  We had our first, delicious beetroots this week.  I boiled them with skins (to keep colour and flavour in) then peeled and roasted the segments for a little while.  They were yum in a goats cheese salad.
We're planning a much bigger patch for the many summer veggies, and I think we'll use my little raised bed for herbs or a seed bed.
Meanwhile, the veggies aren't the only thing that's growing.  Our littlest nephew is quite the charmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment